Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Top Girls
I think that Act 2 Scene 2 is a good example of Churchill trying to achieve critical distance. In this scene there are two girls, Kit and Angie. Kit is only 12 years old and Angie is 16. They are both hanging out in the backyard and are bored with nothing to do. They talk about watching The Exterminator and whether they can get into x rated movies and then Angie talks about being able to move things. Then all of a sudden Angie says "mind my hair you silly cunt" and Kit says "stupid fucking cow, I hate you". This really made me take a step back and ask questions because I was really surprised to see girls this young using such disturbing language. It makes me ask myself what kind of an environment these girls grew up in that they call each other such names. Right after Angie says, "I'm going to kill my mother and you're going to watch". Whoa. That is a pretty weird statement. If you're going to kill somebody for revenge why would you kill your own mother? Wouldn't you want to murder someone that is close to the person you're trying to get revenge on? Then Angie says that she is a cannibal and that she is going to turn into a vampire right now. Okay, this scene just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I don't even know what to say to that comment. I mean I can understand the vampire part because they are talking about blood but becoming a cannibal? If someone heard you say that I'm sure you would be sent away to receive some sort of therapy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha...your comments, about how weird this scene is, are so true! I agree with you that this is one of the moments when Churchill is trying to make the audience step back and detach themselves emotionally from the characters - I know I certainly did when I was reading it. Without showing this totally bizarre and extreme side of Angie and effectively forcing me away (through shock), I might have felt bad for Angie and her sad home life, instead of analyzing her character more objectively.
ReplyDelete